It’s National Burger Day! This food holiday comes every year on May 28 and gives us one more reason to enjoy a great burger.
There’s no reason why you can’t celebrate this favorite foods, but still maintain a healthy diet and lifestyle! Celebrate National Burger Day with these 6 healthy tips:
- Select high quality and lean meat to make your burger. You can even choose leaner meats such as buffalo, turkey, chicken, lamb, salmon, tuna, shrimp, or even make a veggie burger!
- Add more flavor – not fat or high doses of sodium – to your burger with low sodium seasonings, fresh or dried herbs, and spices.
- Mix ingredients together until just combined and avoid over mixing to prevent toughening the meat.
- Add moisture and nutrients with sautéed onions, peppers, mushrooms, and your favorite vegetables.
- Choose a whole wheat bun or instead opt for a pita, tortilla, or skip bread entirely and top the burger on a salad.
- Use low fat sauces and toppings like organic ketchup, mustard, salsa, and bbq sauce.
Have more healthy burger tips? Please share in the comments below!