Sushi for a fun September Dinner Fix!
by Tristan Cablay
Sushi just sounds like the perfect September dinner! As the summer heat starts to cool down and the days are still long, rolling sushi and dining on the patio just sounds like heaven to me!
Never rolled your own sushi? You should give it a go! This sushi recipe is packed full of healthy fats and great vitamins and minerals! Avocado is a great source of heart healthy fat! Nori (the seaweed wrap) provides fantastic minerals such as calcium and zinc! The brown rice is a great source of fiber, and seafood is packed full of omega-3 fatty acids.
There are so many great benefits to eating sushi! Give this recipe a try! Even if it comes out lopsided on the first few tries… It will still taste delicious and be full of “good for you” foods.
What you need to get started:
• Makisu (A bamboo rolling mat)
• Saran wrap
• A sharp knife
• 3 cups short-grain brown rice
• 3 to 4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
• ½ pound raw sushi-grade tuna or salmon (Don’t care for raw fish? Substitute with crabmeat.)
• 1 cucumber, peeled and cut into long strips
• 1 Avocado
• 1 package of Nori (Dried seaweed wrap)
• Soy sauce for dipping
• Wasabi if you want some extra UMPH!
• Cook the brown rice, once done ad the rice wine vinegar and set aside to cool
• Chop the fish or crab, cucumber, and avocado into long strips
• Split the sheets of Nori (Bend them in half and they will fold and break)
• Cover the bamboo mats with plastic wrap
• Stack the Nori first followed by rice, spread evenly over the entire piece of Nori
• Then add your fillings to the middle
• Roll with a slight pressure
• Remove from bamboo mat and cut with a sharp knife
• Tip… dip your knife or spoon in water to help “unstick” as your cut or serve
There you have it! What are your favorite family meals?