According to The Harvard Women’s Health Watch, there are six main reasons why you should focus on getting a good night’s sleep.
- Immune System: If you are deprived of sleep your immune function is altered. This may be why they say that keeping up with sleep helps to fight cancer.
- Cardiovascular Health: Sleep disorders like insomnia have been linked to conditions like hypertension, irregular heartbeat, and an increase in stress hormone levels. Stress also leads to other health problems.
- Learning and Memory: The brain needs sleep for memory consolidation. This process helps the brain to commit to new information and memory. Studies suggest that people who had a good night’s sleep after learning something new did better on later testing on that task.
- Safety: If a person is sleep deprived they can actually fall asleep during the daytime. This can cause falls and mistakes like air traffic mishaps, road accidents, medical errors, and the list can go on. You need sleep to perform in the daytime.
- Metabolism and Weight: All women listen closely when they hear this reason why sleep is important. Sleep deprivation can cause weight gain by affecting the body’s process to store carbohydrates and even alters levels of hormones that affect appetite.
- Last But Not Least, Mood: Without a good night’s sleep, you will result in irritability, impatience, inability to concentrate, and moodiness. Also, if a person is too tired they cannot do the things they like to do. Sleep deprivation interferes with quality of life.
Do deep breaths, mediate, turn off stimulation like TV and cell phones and get the good night’s rest you deserve.