Great news! YouTube, the video-sharing website that many of us use daily, announced yesterday that they have rolled out a new feature called “donation cards.” Along with other pre-existing “cards” available to YouTube content creators, donation cards are now available to appear on videos. The custom cards can now be created to invite subscribers and viewers to donate directly from the video to the YouTuber’s favorite nonprofit.
So how does it work? To add a donation card, you must have a YouTube account and have uploaded a video or videos to your channel. Now let’s get started!
1. Sign into your YouTube account, go to your Video Manager.
2. Go to “Videos” and on an uploaded video, click the “down arrow” button, and on the drop down select “Cards.”
3. The selected video will appear and begin to play. Click on “Add card“, locate “Donation” on the dropdown, and click the “Create” button.
4. Next, type in the name of any any United States, IRS-validated 501(c)3 public nonprofit organization, such as our nonprofit organization listed as “iGoPink” for The Breast Cancer Charities of America.
Once you have typed in the nonprofit’s name (such as “iGoPink“), the name will appear, click on the organization’s image (if available), and select “Create card.”
5. Now you are able to customize the card by adding a title, teaser text, and select “Create card.”
You can even change the image from the selected image options; however, you cannot upload a new image.
6. After the card is created, you can change where the card appears in your video by dragging the slider, located underneath the video, to the desired time (for example, 1:06 in this video below).
7. Note that just like other YouTube card selections, you cannot add 2 cards that promote the same link, nonprofit, video, playlist, or function. (see warning below)
8. Your card is now automatically saved and visible to all subscribers and viewers who watch your video!
The “card” will appear at the designated time and in the top right hand corner of the video (Desktop view).
If a viewer selects the card, an additional panel with your message (custom title and teaser) will appear (Desktop view).
Once the viewer selects the message on the new panel, a pop up will appear over the video and gives the viewer an opportunity to make a donation. The viewer can select $5, $10, $20, or other amount to donate before selecting Next.
In the final step, the viewer (and donor) can review their donation, add a payment method, and press Accept and Donate to make a donation to iGoPink or another U.S. nonprofit organization.
Watch YouTube’s “donation card” feature in action by viewing iGoPink’s Apple Pie Bites video below! The “donation card” will appear at 1:06.
YouTube has over a billion users that now have new opportunities to do good for great causes across the United States! We hope you try YouTube’s newest feature and transform each view into a donation.
For more information or questions about how to setup donation cards to help benefit iGoPink, please contact Jen at email@example.com
Thank YOU so much for helping iGoPink make a difference and support breast cancer patients that need our help!